Crispy Salmon Cakes


Don't these look amazing?
I tore this recipe out of a magazine a few weeks back and finally got around to making them. They turned out SO much better than I thought they would, plus there were pretty easy to make! (they were so good that they didn't even need sauce)
I think they would be great to make for a dinner party...make the cakes ahead of time and fry them up when people arrive.

People will be impressed with your skills :)

I think the salmon cakes are tied with the roasted veggie pizza for our favorite dinner!


Gather your ingredients:

  • 2 cans (14.75 ounces each) salmon, drained (I used frozen salmon and baked it myself. More on this later)
  • 11⁄2 cups panko bread crumbs
  • 1⁄2 cup tartar sauce or mayonnaise ( I tried to skimp, but it needs the whole 1/2 cup)
  • 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced, or 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder (I used chopped red onions instead)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3⁄4 cup canola oil
Mix it all together:

Form it into eight cute little patties:


Don't eat it yet, we still have to put on the crunchies:

I had to be forceful in making them stick all over:


Fry 'em up:

Let them sit on a paper towel-lined plate while you finish:

Admire how yummy they look:

Ok NOW you can eat them:
Enjoy!

Ok, so I tried using canned salmon (which I had never bought before)
and this is what it looked like:


I don't care how healthy it is for you, that is NASTY!

After throwing up in my mouth, my two cans of salmon made their way to the garbage.

Apparently, when you buy canned salmon it needs to say
SKINLESS and BONELESS or else it's not. I guess I didn't get that memo.

I ended up buying two frozen salmon fillets at Trader Joes, thawed them for a day, made a little foil tray and put the salmon on it with some lemon juice and s&p.

I popped the salmon in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

And there you have some yummy salmon for your cakes!


2 comments

  1. wishful nals on April 27, 2010 at 10:10 AM

    yum! those look delicious!!

     
  2. Lilacandgrey on April 27, 2010 at 2:57 PM

    mmm looks good! Cute blog :) I'll post your button for my readers xo

     


Post a Comment

Leave me some love!